The Parish Church of St. Clement
St Clement's, the Living Church in the Ancient Town of Sandwich Kent
A peal of six bells (tenor - 12cwt) is rung by our ringing team for Sunday morning services, weddings and other special services and occasions.
There is a weekly practice on Saturday morning at 9:15am. Both beginners and experienced ringers are welcome.
The 6 bells came originally from the Church of St John the Baptist Kirkheaton, near Huddersfield, who acquired a new ring of eight bells in 1988.
After an overhaul, these bells were installed in St Clement's Tower, and rang out for the first time for Easter 1990.
They then remained silent until their dedication on Sunday, May 20th 1990, in the presence of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, as Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports.
The bells were cast in 1818 by Thomas Mears at the Whitechapel Bell Foundry.
They have retained their original inscriptions, although their Sandwich donors are commemorated on brass plaques fixed to the bellframe beside each appropriate bell.
The St Clement's Bellringers practice on Saturday mornings from 9.15am to 10.30am and ring at church services on Sundays from 10.00 am to 10.30am.
New ringers are warmly welcome.
Please contact: Martin Thorley - Tower Captain 07968 065 123 before attending.